Urinary incontinence refers to any involuntary loss of urine.
It is a symptom, not a condition.
It may manifest either as loss of a few urine drops or as a complete inability to retain urine.
There are some general rules to prevent urinary incontinence:
- Daily physical exercise
- Maintaining normal body weight
- Weight loss in obese patients
- Smoking cessation. Coughing is associated with smoking which constitutes a risk factor for urinary incontinence
- Exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles
- Avoidance of stimulating foods, coffee or alcoholic drinks which increase voiding
- Therapy against constipation