Prostate hypertrophy (hyperplasia) is a result of aging, given that the prostate gland increases in size after the age of 30.
For this reason, we cannot talk about real prevention.
However, there are some general rules which can help manage the symptoms:
- Normal body weight maintenance. It has been observed that obese patients have an increased prostate volume
- Diet rich in fibers, vegetables and omega-3 fats
- Reduction of fluid intake before bedtime
- Limited consumption of caffeine and alcohol
- Avoidance of voiding postponement
- Avoidance of medications that may aggravate the symptoms, such as diuretics and antihistamines